Wednesday 4 May 2011

From Peter ( glad someone’s looking in!)

Hello Jean
A great set of photos of the VE celebrations in Summervale in 1945! I recognise my Mum in the back row, 3rd woman from right. She is holding my brother David (20 months old) in her arms. It made me wonder where I was at the time! No sign of me hanging around at all. I would have been 3 at the time. Perhaps my uncle, Peter Durham, was looking after me. My grandmother (Ethel Durham) is also in the photo, in the same row, the tall one along from my mother.

oldies1 reworked

 

I recognised several other women but there are quite a few I couldn't name. Can you please name them all for us, Jean? And who is the man (looks like one!) who is in the middle of the back row? How did he sneak in there?
In the photo of the men my grandad, Reg Durham, is in the front row seated 2nd from right. Again, I knew many of the men but certainly can't name them all.
Regarding the picture of the sit-down tea for the kids, I guess the chairs might have come from a local church, perhaps the Methodist church at the top of Summervale ,along West Street
Thanks for posting details of the new Ilminster website. Looking at it yesterday has given me some ideas for another piece for you. More about that next time.
Regards
Peter Westmacott
P.S. Mike Smith and I recently met up for an evening at his house in Berkshire! We had a great time, reminiscing over the old Summervale days in the 40s and 50s. We worked out
that we probably hadn't seen each other for 47 years!! We promised to meet again soon.

YES PETER  I WILL NAME THEM A.S.A.P. I ALSO KNOW MOST OF THEM BUT GUESS THERE WILL BE SOME STRANGERS.

JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any knowledge of Summervale in Ilminster please leave a comment as I would love to hear from you.
Where it says - COMMENT AS - open the drop down menu & select anonymous if you don't have a google account.
Then DOUBLE click on post comment.You may be asked to copy a word thingy & then it comes to me for approval before it is posted on the site.
If you post anonymously PLEASE make sure you put your name in the comment so that I konw who it is.
Who will be first?