Wednesday 23 June 2010

Peter Westmacott has replied to Rob

Hello Jean




It's some time since I posted something on your wonderful blog. Reading Rob Drayton's comments today, I have to say that I didn't know Rob but certainly knew his brother Derek, who I would often walk through the Rec with on our way to school in Ditton Street. I also knew his Dad Dennis. I particularly remember my brother David working for Dennis in his little glass-blowing business in West Street. Dennis worked at STC like most Summervalians and I assume he worked as a glassblower. I was never quite sure why he had this little business in a cottage in West Street. Had he some knowledge that STC was leaving Ilminster and this was his way of keeping in employment after STC had left? I remember the Draytons stayed in Ilminster and didn't move to Paignton when many did once the factory set up there.



Perhaps Rob can enlighten us about his Dad's glass-blowing business and what happened to it. Incidentally, my brother David did glass-blowing when he first worked at STC in Paignton (1958), so Dennis' training must have helped him!



Best wishes



Peter Westmacott

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any knowledge of Summervale in Ilminster please leave a comment as I would love to hear from you.
Where it says - COMMENT AS - open the drop down menu & select anonymous if you don't have a google account.
Then DOUBLE click on post comment.You may be asked to copy a word thingy & then it comes to me for approval before it is posted on the site.
If you post anonymously PLEASE make sure you put your name in the comment so that I konw who it is.
Who will be first?