Hello again Jean
Loved your pics and food memories. You certainly recalled a lot.
A few more food snippets from 1950s Summervale:
* Mother sending us off to watch Somerset play cricket at Taunton with a load of beetroot sandwiches in our bags. You should have seen our T-shirts after lunch!
* Mother making a steak and kidney pudding using one of her old stockings!
My mum used to use a square of old sheeting – I still do it that way , Just doesn’t taste the same using foil. A little water in the crust adds a certain – Je ne sais Quoi.
* Fish in milk. Ugh! We had this most weeks. I love fish now but that early experience could have put me off for life!
* Marmite sandwiches. Say no more!!
* Lambs' hearts - mother first gave us these when I was about 12. They were lovely, full of lean meat.
O No – bet you liked liver too!
Up until then so much meat that we ate seemed to me to be full of fat and gristle, consequently I didn't like it much and tried to avoid it if possible!