Monday 2 May 2011

V E Day 8 MAY 1945

I have just made this banner above  for a forum I belong to and thought I would share it with you all.No, Winston Churchill was not in Summervale!

This photo shows a group of very happy women ready to celebrate; the bonfire ( bottom left corner) is ready to be lit and my Mum is centre stage holding a tray.
image
Lots of familiar faces, can you see your Mum?
In stark contrast – here is how the men celebrated probably on the actual day od Victory rather than at the celebrations.
I have to say it surprised me!
image

Another great photo by Ron Dixon amazingly sharp and clearly showing the hanging “German”
Do you think that is a loudspeaker rigged up behind Mr Ralph – top left?
Then we have the obligatory sit down tea. I wonder where all those chairs came from?
image
Not so clear this one but you might recognise someone?
JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any knowledge of Summervale in Ilminster please leave a comment as I would love to hear from you.
Where it says - COMMENT AS - open the drop down menu & select anonymous if you don't have a google account.
Then DOUBLE click on post comment.You may be asked to copy a word thingy & then it comes to me for approval before it is posted on the site.
If you post anonymously PLEASE make sure you put your name in the comment so that I konw who it is.
Who will be first?