Monday 19 October 2009

News From Terry Pell

Hi Jean,

I was very pleased to see again the photo of the house now obviously owned by the Brittains looking very grand as indeed it was during the war and my time in Summervale.

Brittens house

As a point of interest, at that time the house was owned and occupied by a very wealthy family name unknown,  and every Saturday morning at 10am  accompanied by Brian Mortlake we would knock at that door and spent the next 2 hours at a table cleaning all the silver being  paid 6d each for our efforts straight afterwards. I always remember that as you walked along the hallway there was a full size suit of armour standing on the right between two doorways.

On one of my visits when I was drawn back to Summervale, I was saddened to see this beautiful house empty, in a very bad state of repair and completely boarded up.

On another visit part of the very long garden of the house plus the field at the bottom of it to the left of Brewery Lane had been built on as has the sloping fields that we all used to sledge down.

I have heard a joke that the Brittains (Ex 'Farmer Brittains' Family) now own a very big  portion of Ilminster. Just how true that is I have no idea.

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any knowledge of Summervale in Ilminster please leave a comment as I would love to hear from you.
Where it says - COMMENT AS - open the drop down menu & select anonymous if you don't have a google account.
Then DOUBLE click on post comment.You may be asked to copy a word thingy & then it comes to me for approval before it is posted on the site.
If you post anonymously PLEASE make sure you put your name in the comment so that I konw who it is.
Who will be first?