Monday 25 January 2010

REMEMBER THE STATION?

I came across this photo today of Ilminster Station

image

 

which evoked more memories.

Firstly, of being absolutely terrified as the enormous metal engine, spouting steam, pulled into the Station.

I would run into the waiting room and hide under a bench. I had a similar fear of Steam engines – good job I wasn’t a boy.

Secondly, I remember going to Taunton baths swimming, a group of us without any adult supervision.

Jean & Gloria Taunton baths

Ron Dixon was there this day.

Those were the days of corridors which we would run up and down until the guard caught us . Also  that strong brown leather strap with holes in it which lowered the windows. Once on the train I loved it – the smell of the smoke and the repetitive noise of the train on the tracks.

Yes, happy days.

JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any knowledge of Summervale in Ilminster please leave a comment as I would love to hear from you.
Where it says - COMMENT AS - open the drop down menu & select anonymous if you don't have a google account.
Then DOUBLE click on post comment.You may be asked to copy a word thingy & then it comes to me for approval before it is posted on the site.
If you post anonymously PLEASE make sure you put your name in the comment so that I konw who it is.
Who will be first?